Thursday 10 March 2011

Did you know...

I don't know if I ever really knew this before. Well, I maybe knew it as a fact but it never meant anything to me until very recently. It's probably the most important thing that could ever be true in this world and I didn't know. God. LOVES. me.

I think it's very easy to ignore because He's not physically staring at me face-to-face and telling me that He loves me. And I'm not even talking about the depth of love that caused Him to die for me. That kind of love will still take time to understand and even fully accept. But I'm talking about the little daily things that I take for granted and yet it's Him telling me each and every single day that He wants to hold me and cherish me and wrap me in His arms and say "My darling, I love you". It is the only perfect love that will ever exist and I didn't open my heart to it. 

Love is so much more than we attribute to it. I "love" that new movie or I "love" chocolate. We don't use hate so easily, so why is love becoming so commonplace? 

My eyes were openned to this love when I was crying at 9 at night, skyping with my brother. My Mom calls and says she's coming to take me out for coffee. I asked if my brother had called my mom and told her to call me. He said no and the first thing that came to my mind was "Well then God loves me". And the joy and love I felt when I realized what I had just said was incredible. Now I know to look for God's love every day and He never fails to disappoint. I see His love in a friend's perfectly timed cheerful smile. I see it when the bus I should have missed happens to be running late. I see it in a little child who comes to give me a hug and slobbery kiss. 

People think it's hard to have a loving relationship with someone who's so "distant". He is not a physical presence that you can see, touch, hear, experience. In fact, God is much closer than we realize. We don't see "Him" because I think He uses ordinary people already in our lives to show how much He loves us. We just don't give Him the credit. Not to diminish the love my Mom has for me, but it is God who has perfect timing and occassionally will pass that timing on to the person who can help the one who needs it. 

Think of the movie "P.S. I love you". We think it's so cute that Gerard Butler orchestrates the trips and the gifts and we give him all the credit for it. No one thinks it's actually the leprechaun who loves her. She feels so loved because he took the time to show her his love. We don't love the mailman because he brings us letters from friends. We love the friends who sent them. God is the one behind it all. All of it. 

So take joy in the fact that there is someone who will always love you more than you realize. And thanks to all the friends who have let God use them (knowingly or unknowingly) to show me love. It gives me a new understanding of the verse in the Bible that says "We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19). I can't know a love like this and not share it so that you may also know a love like this. A perfect love from a perfect God who wants to love YOU. I hope that by showing you love, you might feel a small part of what God's love is like. He loves you and because of Him, so do I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment